Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. Feel free to join in the fun.
This meme is hosted by Bermudaonion, every Wednesday.
I’m so happy to be joining in on the fun!
I found all of the following words in The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory:
1. sweetmeats – A sweet delicacy, such as a piece of candy or crystallized fruit.
2. marchpane – Also known as Marzipan, a confection made of almonds reduced to a paste with sugar and often molded into various forms, usually diminutive fruits and vegetables.
3. chapbook – Mostly small paper-covered booklets, usually printed on a single sheet folded into books of 8, 12, 16 and 24 pages, often illustrated with crude woodcuts, which sometimes bear no relation to the text.
4. yeoman – A small prosperous farmer, a free man.
5. pariah – An outcast, in exile.
6. fecund – highly fertile; able to produce offspring.
7. courtier – A person in attendance at a royal court, who flatters in order to seek favour.
* I apologize ahead of time for only defining the word. I forgot to make note of the quotes as well.
Next time I will remember to save both the quote and the definition.
What new words have you discovered lately?